RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 01:29 AM
Re: Sats...

Quote:

I beg you all tonight to be as realistic in your estimates of intensity forecasts as possible. Please we do not need any exaggerations at this point. ... My question based on what is known now, is how long is Lakeland expected to experience these winds since the hurricane's winds are some what flowing like an oscillating fan. ? An estimate is really appreciated and I am not holding anyone to any exact numbers. Thanks sincerely.

I couldn't agree more with all the hype around here. Seems that everyone wants to share in the limelight! People in Tampa are boarding up their homes! That's not going to keep any trees from falling onto the roofs and doing some serious damage. There's a big difference between a major hurricane hitting coastal areas with a surge of water and winds in excess of 120 mph, and a diminishing hurricane moving inland producing flooding rains, tornados, and strong gusts of wind that topple trees, etc. Coastal areas are demolished - but damage to inland areas is far more sporadic, depending more upon vegetation, structural integrity, etc.
Keep in mind that the diameter of hurricane force winds is estimated to be 80 miles across when it hits the coast, but the diameter and intensity of the winds will diminish as the storm moves inland (beyond 80 miles). The highest winds will be found in the forward right quadrant of the storm, relative to the storm's movement. How everyone fares depends upon the track that Frances wants to take. Only time will tell, unfortunately. Fortunately, we do have NHC with the best tools available to guestimate where and when.
There has got to be a better way to respond to these warnings in the future, though, without everyone getting into a panic.
Just my .02.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center