AgentB
(Weather Guru)
Sat Sep 04 2004 12:30 AM
Re: Frances now stationary!

Quote:

So, does this mean Frances will sit, sputter and die down. Or are we in Florida still in for it??? I am so confused at this point.

Until this storm makes landfall and weakens as it moves inland you CANNOT discount anything happening. The weakening seems to be a trend at this point because it has been happeneing for a few hours now. However, this system has been somewhat unpredictable for a lot of the time, and it could jump up somewhat in intensity. What I stated was my *opinion*(and we all know how those go...lol) that this storm probably would not restrenthen to the levels that it once was at. I believe that a storm this big, and this thing was/is huge, takes a lot of energy from the water and surrounding air to make it grow that large, maintain that intensity and move that fast(up to 18mph just a day or so ago). Once the "power" source gets lowered I believe the storm cannot help but weaken, and weaken fairly substantially. I liken it to a comparison between a muscle car and a regular family sedan. Say they both have the same amount of fuel in the tank. The muscle car will run out of gas earlier because it takes a heckuva lot more power/energy to move that versus the regular family sedan.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center