cjzydeco
(Weather Guru)
Sat Sep 04 2004 02:58 AM
What an Excellent Model

What a great model for the complexities of hurricane forecasting Frances has been. On Wednesday before school was cancelled, I talked with my students about the types of conditions that can cause a hurricane to strengthen/weaken. I hope some of them have access to TV's wherever they are riding out the storm so that they can see the causes for the dramatic changes we have seen with Frances today. We also talked about how the forward movement of the hurricane can affect flooding. Unfortunately that aspect has me a little nervous. The problem with Florida is there is nowhere for 8-10 inches of rain to go, much less 15-20 inches! The comments about a possibly large storm surge even with a weakened storm is news that is also unsettling. What factors would contribute to such a large surge? I thought the surge was whipped up by the high winds :?:

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center