Kimberley Clark
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 09 2004 06:27 PM
Re: heart out to all in Florida

(This is block copied and not my words, I am not good at this stuff yet, but if I keep reading from you guys, who knows . . . next year I might be able to post something of my own that amounts to a hill of beans)

I found this on abc3340:

1 PM CDT FAST FACTS ON HURRICANE IVAN:
IVAN PLOWING ALONG AS A EXTREMELY POWERFUL CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE
POSITION: Latitude 14.8 N, Longitude 72.0 W
or 360 miles SE of Kingston, Jamaica
MOVEMENT: WNW at 15 MPH (no change)
MAX SUSTAINED WIND: 160 MPH (Category 5) Gusts to 195 MPH (no change)
LOWEST PRESSURE: 923 millibars, 27.26 inches (Pressure has risen slightly)
90% of buildings damaged when it passed over Granada
At least 16 fatalities on Granada
We will update the above data at 4 PM

There is a considerable spread in the suite of computer models; some suggest a motion toward the central Gulf coast, others show Ivan taking a sharp right turn, cutting across south Florida. It is simply too early to determine where the storm is going, but everyone from New Orleans to Charleston will have to pay close attention to Ivan over the next five days.

One model (the GFS) takes Ivan into the Atlantic, and then turns it westward with a threat to places like Delaware and New Jersey in about 9 days. It will be very interesting to watch what happens; the system should remain a dangerous hurricane for the foreseeable future.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center