Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Thu Sep 09 2004 07:10 PM
Re: cat 5 somewhere is still possible....(in the US)

Rick,

A question: can you tell me how many times this year your predicted tracks have been correct? Everytime we have a storm, you say WEST. You said it with Charley, and it went EAST. You said NORTH with Frances and she went east, now you're say WEST with Ivan and ........

A Cat V is nothing to play around with...whether it comes your way, my way, or anyone else's way. I've been through 2 hurricanes in less than 3 weeks and a Cat 2 is no fun, I can tell you that right now. I can't even imagine what a Cat 5 would do here or anywhere. I don't even want to THINK about another hurricane hitting Florida right now. I drive around and see pool cages upside down, trees on houses, roofs ripped off sheds, houses, buildings, schools closed, people have no electricity, water or gas. Some just want a cup of coffee. I've dealt with two terrified little boys and I have done everything in my power to make sure they feel safe and secure and loved. Try putting an 8-year old to bed in a closet with a flashlight because you don't know when the storm is coming or where it's going to hit...south of me? north of me? Try wiping away the tears as he asks you if he's going to die from the hurricane. While you're at it, try wiping away the tears from your own face as you try to reassure your kids that they will be safe. Go out and talk to the people that have lost everything they have within a 3 week period, and more than likely will lose more. If that's possible.

There are people here that lurk and don't post that may take your posts seriously. It's not funny anymore, Rick. A very elderly friend of mine lost his wife due to a sudden heart attack 2 weeks ago. The doctor's said it was from the stress of worrying about Charley. So, it is a matter of life and death.

You can tell me where to go (and so can everyone else) for this post, but from where I'm standing, even JOKING about a CAT 5 isn't funny at all. If you want a Cat 5, fly to Jamaica.

The NHC has been 99.9% on with their forecasted paths for the last three or four storms. I hope like heck that this storm turns west, and if you want it, have at it. We can all say it's too early to tell, but from where I'm standing, I see a lot of things that tell me the NHC is pretty darn confident in their track.

You can get mad, the moderators can edit this if they want, but I had to say this because it's really not funny anymore.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center