Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Thu Sep 09 2004 11:24 PM
Re: Latest Vortex

It looks like it might be restrengthining...we'll find out at 8pm. This track has shifted left, right, left, right, left...you get the idea, huh? It's going to keep doing that, probably until the stupid thing makes landfall SOMEWHERE. Watch for a continuing trend either way during the next 48 hours and you'll have a pretty good idea of the general direction of where it's going. Tampa Bay escaped a direct hit with Charley hours before landfall...by 70 miles. So, it does make a HUGE difference in the long run. The thing with Ivan (or any hurricane for that matter) is that so many people are just waiting with bated breath for every scrap of information we can get that we drive ourselves insane. Take me for example, I'm insane.

I noticed on the last loops that it might have taken a jog to the north, or that may have been the eye jumping, I don't know. I'm not saying it's going due north, it just looked like it took a little jog to the north.

Speaking of weather, our stinks. I just sat in the parking lot at the highschool where my kids play youth football for 47 minutes while lightning was striking all over the place. Do you have any idea what it's like to sit in a car that long with 2 kids in full gear? The coach for my one son's team came over and said, "Practice is off, see ya Saturday" at 6:15. The other one (who thinks you can't get struck by lightning because you're a football player) made me wait another 20 minutes. I finally just told him, "Look, these storms are rotating around, they aren't leaving, but I am. If you want to sit out here and walk around, fine. Now you've got kids running around, in the rain, while the lightning is flashing all over. BAD EXAMPLE, COACH."
He finally cancelled it.
It's still storming. We must have gotten 3" of rain. Just what we needed. Sheesh.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center