Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 10 2004 12:29 AM
Re: Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit

I have been very impressed with this website. I am a weather fanatic and althought the last two hurricanes were devestating for many around me I remain quite fascinated. I Live in DeLand Florida and sort of have an amateur weather station going here. I teach science at Deland High School. Personally i think volusia county was one of the hardest hit. I think this has to do with a "crack the whip" theory. we were on the edge of the storm with Francis but we took alot of damage. If my math and geometry is correct something that rotates around a point the outside edge away from the center has to cover more ground than the middle. the storms that were hitting us were moving in excess of 50 mph. If the storms are moving that fast what does that do to the windspeed? When cape canaveral got a blast of 124 mph and there were gusts at hurricane strength to my east in Daytona im starting to wonder if its safe to be on the edge. Here we were out of power for five days but for rainfall i recorded 10.25" over three days. Not to mention we had 2.79 inches this afternoon and evening from stationary boomers. Also I live about a mile from the st. johns river and it is starting to envelop homes on the river. Anyone know what sort of impact 3" of rain is going to have on the overall cresting forecast released earlier this week? Keep up the good work. Im fascinated by everyones interest in Hurricanes and weather in General. BTW I have received 38.7 inches since i purchased my wireless rain gage. that total is since July 1st....pretty amazing.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center