MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Sep 11 2004 02:33 AM
Re: devastation

I have been there, but stayed on the resort, as that was the advice given to me. I did see some parts of the island near Montego Bay, from which you could see the situation that most live in, but I hear that is nothing compared to Kingston. The people at the resort treated us like gold, and I know that some will say it's because they want you back, but would we have treated them as well if the situation was reversed? Every person I walked by, bar none, would smile and greet you with a good morning, or whatever. Each one always asked if they could do anything for you, and the answer was always "No problem". Tourism is their big thing, and although some may go down there after this out of curiosity, I would expect it to hurt their industry. I said on an earlier post that I thought it was real sad that 12 hours of weather could hurt a country for years afterwards. Because of my brief experience there, but a great one, it troubles me to know what they are about to go through. They are tough people, they will survive. But they all remember Gilbert, and I'm afraid they'll remember Ivan the same way-1 storm whose name was retired due to its severity that crossed the island, and another storm that will likely have its name retired that darn near did the same thing. Sorry for rambling, but I really hate to see them go through that-that don't have the economic resources we have, although I am sure their determination is just as great.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center