Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Sep 11 2004 05:18 PM
Re: Models

Strangely enough though, of the dynamical models (excluding combinations of multiple models and the like), the GFS has the least amount of errors at 3-5 days. The only problem is that most of them are location/track and not time errors - i.e. it is saying Jacksonville instead of Cape Canaveral instead of saying Cape Canaveral at 6z day 5 versus Cape Canaveral at 6z day 6. In my view, if there is going to be error, it's better to get the location right than the exact timing - particularly if you are going to be too fast with the storm. It is in this that model track error analyses just based upon miles can be misleading.

Needless to say though, the models have come into better agreement on a track...I just wish what was actually going on out there would match with that! I would've expected a more westward movement a day or two ago based upon what is/what is going to be out there, but the models were mostly east. Now, I'd expect a slight bit more of a turn to the N based upon the weather pattern, but the models are mostly west now.

It just goes to show you that no one from Biloxi east needs to let their guard down with this storm.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center