Londovir
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 12 2004 05:06 AM
Re: New Recon Decoder Version

Thanks for the compliment(s)! I'm working away on this thing, and should have the next run of it with RECCO decode on the way before I finally head to bed tonight. (Shows what Mountain Dew in the veins can do for programming skills...)

I don't know if anyone has the know-how here, but I do have one question about recon decoding I haven't cracked yet. On both RECCO and Supplementary reports, there is a report of the millibar level the plane is flying at. I can understand most of them, but one is reported as follows:

"8..D-value in geopotential decameters (if negative, 500 is added to HHH)"

This one I don't get. Does anybody know what mb level this line would refer to? I'm more curious to know if a line is encoded as /8100, what meter height would it be? If it were /3100, I know it would be 3000m+100=3100m.

Oh well, still some things to learn. If these hurricanes keep rolling, this thing is going to turn into a big program....keep getting work and school canceled. (3rd time this year, not consecutively).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center