Sadie
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 13 2004 09:44 PM
Re: Back to the Keys??

I gotta say this. Panic is never productive and that is what I have seen this season, PANIC. I wrote "Disaster Planning for Country Property" in conjunction with the American Red Cross and EOC's across the state after Andrew and I know what I'm talking about. I'm a horse trainer and a few days ago I was getting calls from people I didn't even know who were bouncing off the walls. Where can I take my horses? Where can I borrow a horse trailer, etc, etc. For instance, a friend left for Tallahassee on Thursday with his prize APHA stallion. Wonder where he is now?! We all need to have a DISASTER PLAN prepared every spring. And we need to keep our heads. That doesn't mean we disrespect these storms, far from it. But three days ahead of the storm is not the time to try to accomplish what we should have done in May. It means we use our heads and don't run around like a bunch of cockroaches when somebody turns on the light. Am I sick of implementing my disaster plan? You bet. But Charlie went right over my head as a Cat 4 and 16 horses and I are alive and unhurt. Do I want to go thru that kind of experience again? Not in this life. But we simply must learn, for example, that storm shutters are not something to think about aquiring in August with a Cat 5 bearing down on us. They should be cut and ready to hang. I'm not trying to scold anyone, only to trying to get folks (like me) who choose to live were they are vulnerable to these storms to understand they are a fact of life and we have to BE PREPARED.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center