MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Sep 15 2004 02:35 AM
I need to vent a little....

Sorry for the OT post, but I just saw a weather forecast on TV I couldn't believe.
First, in NJ, we are going to get off easy compared to everyone else.
I don't know if this guy (never saw him before) was a met, or a map reader (term used by my friends who read maps on TWC, but never said anything else), but made statements I feel he shouldn't have made.
Our situation is this....There is a cold front approaching that is expected to stall near my area. He stated that that would save us from any impact from Ivan. If you throw a ton of moisture with PWATS probably well over 2 inches on top of a frontal boundary with an onshore flow, that spells a good chance of heavy rain. The GFS gives us (CPC also) 4 or 5 inches through 5 days. That'll be 1/4 what other areas get, but that is not my point.
I have seen tropical systems interact with frontal boundaries up here. I think it was Floyd that dumped 4.00" on me, but over 12" in N.E. Md. The front was right over them.
He probably noticed that POPS out that far are only 50% not understanding that in that time range, higher POPS are not given.
He may well end up being right. But it is illogical and maybe irresponsible to say something like that this far out, especially when the GFS and QPF forecast right now says otherwise.
If WB is going to have a weatherman.......I can't even finish that thought.
Sorry for the rant, and OT, but it did help. My half human side can be a real pain sometimes.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center