Kdubs
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Sep 15 2004 03:04 AM
My thoughts for the day

Is there anyone familiar with New Orleans enough to tell what the situation is there? Evacuations, sea level, hurricane levies, etc?

Also, Phil, anyway you could post SLOSH maps for NoLa, Biloxi, Movile, Pensacola?

The current buoy readings are also rather amazing. Buoy 42003 hasn't reported data in over 2 hours. Buoy GDIL1 (near New Orleans) has gusts up to 23 kts. Buoy SGOF1 (near Apalachicola, FL) has gusts up to 32 kts.

When I first started seriously watching Ivan, I was so tired from going through the eye of Charley and the NE side of Frances. When it passed over Grenada, I told me family that I felt it would go to New Orleans. I was about to post that thought on this site when the track changed to bring the eye over Orlando, so I decided to keep my opinion to myself. However, it appears that the hunch I had a week ago was more than just a hunch. Having gone through Charley as a Cat 2, I understand what it feels like. I can only imagine what Port Charlotte, Sanibel Island, Fort Myers, Punta Gorda and all the other towns on the SWFL coast went through before Charley made it to S Orlando. Please heed the advice of the authorities. If you need convincing, look at the damage photos from Sanibel and Port Charlotte. Read the reports of people who had to hold their doors in their place because their storm shutters were ripped off. Read about the people in Jamaica who had to move from one shelter to the next in the brunt of the storm because their shelter blew away from around them. We lose too many people every year as it is to these monster freight trains that we like to call hurricanes. There is nothing wimpy about evacuating. You will not be accused of being a "girlie man."

My prayers are with all of you in the storms path and swath. Don't underestimate the power of the storm, but also don't underestimate the power of the One who controls it all.

God Bless, Kyle

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center