Kdubs
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Sep 15 2004 04:18 PM
Keep your windows closed

I agree with you leetdan. Keep your windows CLOSED.

A couple examples of why...

1) During Charley, a friend of mine had his windows open to "equalize the pressure " between the inside and outside of his home. The result = the wind made the pressure so great inside the home, it had leverage to lift his roof off. It came back down in the same place, but now sits detached from the frame of his home. The walls are covered in mold and the drywall is rotting. He has been forced to move to another property. His home will have to be completely remodeled after having the roof reattached.

2) During Frances, my father went outside to video the effects of the wind. He left the front door open and a gust of wind came in, went around two 90deg turns in the hallway and sent two ceiling light fixtures smashing to the ground. We are still picking up glass off the floor.

Having your windows can be extremely dangerous.

Be safe...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center