Rasvar
(Weather Master)
Sat Sep 18 2004 03:58 PM
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne

Truthfully, I never pay get my weather information or news from national sources. That even includes, TWC now. Granted, I am an exception. I have seen enough of how news coverage works from all sides through personal experiences and close friends to know that the information is usually never very accurate. Locals are more accurate however, even then they are subject to the pressures of sensationalisim. I am a believer in gather differing opinions and making my own decision. However, I always defer to official sources when it gets down to crunch time.

If I can go after the cause rather then the effect here, NHC does have a problem with media presence. I hate to say this but Max Mayfield always seems to strike me as more of a government worker then a meteorologist. I think Ed Rappaport comes off with his explanations a little better. Just personal opinion. I think they need to work ontheir PR a bit. Heck, even adding bios to the TPC's web page would be nice. Is any of this improtant to the actual forecasting? No not at all. However,much to my chagrin, with todays media, image means as much as substance.

In all honesty, I miss Dr Bob Sheets and Dr Neil Frank. I thought they both did a very good job of getting the message out and the thinking behind them. That is what seems to be missing to me.

Ob Jeanne talk, I see the models starting to show some of what JB mentioned about the loop. Wait and see if any of this verifies. It ain't over until it's over and in this hurricane season. Even if it is over, it may not be over. Right, Ivan?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center