FreakedInFlorida
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Sep 18 2004 06:33 PM
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne

First off, I am not a weather person and I don't play one on TV, though I did consider staying at a Holiday Inn Express during Frances. I recently found out about this board from some discussion on other sites about Frances, and have found it very educational and helpful and I thank the members of this system for that.

I agree with you Rich. Having worked in the media, I have to wonder if Accuweather's forecast is not based a bit on what will sell more subscriptions/hits/ads. The more danger something is perceived to be in, the more people will go and view it to see if it perhaps has changed or not. I did notice that today, the forecast did seem to be 45 miles higher than before. Still, since day 1, it's been a Florida storm. I'm not saying JB isn't right. He may very well be. What I am concerned with is that if the track models and NHC are all over the map, how can he be so certain? I don't subscribe to his service, so maybe he justifies that position in the subscription area, but to the general public, it appears that he is just making a path up. A path that benefits Accuweather in terms of visitors/watchers then one that reflects the uncertainty of the guidance.

We are weather worn here in Florida and the thought of another hurricane cutting into the coast at Cat 2 is just plain scary. But if it happens, it happens, but I would hope that the tracks shown reflect the best science we have and not just what's beneficial to the packager.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center