Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Sep 18 2004 07:24 PM
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne

Good to hear from ya'll. Basically the waves picked up during the day and we sat and waited for ivan to hit, not expecting a direct hit. things werent to bad but by about 5pm weds. they started getting worse. thats about the time ppl started loosing power. luckily we didnt loose it till 10pm and by that time the winds were really gusty. by 11 you could hear a faint roar coming and about 30 minutes later the winds were roaring. there were transformers exploding all around by 12. From 12-3 I think is when things were the worse. we have a steel double door in the front of the place that we had to tie shut with rope and we tied it to a skid of paper. by this time i was scared becasue i could hear things flying and hitting the building but after 1 you couldnt hear anything else but the wind. it was a non stop high pitch roar. it was like that till about 3 or 4am. things slowly started to calm down. when the first light came up i cut the rope and stepped outside and nearly fainted. i couldnt believe how bad it was. trees, lights,signs and other things that were there wednsday werent there. we had a huge oak tree up-rooted and dragged by the wind about 10 feet. all the street poles were snapped and there was just a ton of garbage everywhere, shingles, broken signs. even a icebox from a gas station across the street was in our parking lot. there was a huge steel billboard that had been completely bent to the ground. ithe building we stayed in had only alittle roofing gone and siding blown off. we were lucky. we stayed in the central room all night till the roof was fluttering so we went to a hallway till morning. well, i'd be more in-depth but i got tons to do, so i'll post more later. cheers

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center