Rasvar
(Weather Master)
Sat Sep 18 2004 09:44 PM
Re: Back After A DEEP and NEEDED Sleep

I have freinds in Kissimmee. KUA was unprepared and caught off guard. They were not expecting cat 3 conditions and did not have enough out of state crews on call. It was an operational error that I am sure they will not make again. Most of the people I knew in Kissimme had power before I did in Poinciana with Progress Energy.

One more caveat. I have been involved in recovery efforts in six major hurricanes over the last decade. The recovery from Charley was one of the fastest I have ever seen. Kissimmee suffered a total loss. Five years ago, that would have been a two month restoration. No matter how it looks, there are always problems with power restoration after a storm. you are going to hear horror stories after Ivan. I have yet to see a major delineation between private and municipal recoveries. Most of the differences have had to do with the level of restoration required. As was the case in Kissimmee in my opinion.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center