Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sun Sep 19 2004 04:40 AM
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne

In regards to the Willoughby stuff posted -- the closest things I can think of to that in regards to the multiple low-level centers are the mesovortices exhibited in the centers of very strong hurricanes. Often, around the larger center, you can see 3-8 small vortices rotating around the larger center. Occasionally, this phenomenon occurs near an eyewall replacement cycle, but it is not necessarily a precursor to one (meaning what I am trying to say is that the two really aren't coorelated). Isabel exhibited this, as did Frances and Ivan.

In regards to the paper posted about binary interaction of tropical cyclones -- if I'm not mistaken, that is more the interaction between two separate tropical cyclones instead of two distinct vortices within the same circulation envelope/system. There's only a small amount of research on the latter problem. Whenever I think of this scenario, though, I'm reminded of a starfish pattern of vortices rotating in tandem with each other in the central Atlantic one year about 5-6 years ago. Really weird to see, but pretty interesting. And it does occur more than it may seem.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center