LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sun Sep 19 2004 03:23 PM
thank you neil frank

because i was a small girl down here in miami while he reinged as hurricane king and he drove home the point constantly to the point where at times he was treated by cynics like chicken little pointing to storm surge but he was right.. it was always his big deal, his biggest concern that people living along the coast realize the danger of storm surge.

So... as much as i love hurricanes, love to track them, am in awe of their beauty on the satellite, afraid of their power which is akin to nuclear bombs being dropped at landfall of such a strong storm...

I am never unaware that a storm surge can wash it all away in any given big storm.

And..if I ever did live on the water.. I would do it knowing that in an instant, in a once in a lifetime storm surge it could all be washed away.

This is a great site..so are others like hurricanecity that specializes in education and many online... but most of all I am happy I was never given any false sense of security that buildings built along the shore or near the shore cant be washed away in a strong storm.

Remember the night before Andrew driving around Miami Beach taking one last look because I thought after Andrew Miami Beach would look like Sullivans Island after Hugo or those beautiful white sand beaches after Ivan.

Glad people can be informed here.. really glad cause Neil is no longer running the show at NHC screaming Storm Surge, Storm Surge and maybe someone should be.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center