Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sun Sep 19 2004 05:57 PM
Re: And if you thought Dynagel was crazy

The theory is the closest to being sound that I have heard, but I doubt it would work. A 10mi x 10mi wide region is only a very small fraction of a hurricane and would likely have a negligible effect. Cold water is denser than warm water, I do believe, so the colder water is going to tend to sink back down to the surface. If it didn't, you risk affecting/damaging the ecosystem of the ocean there -- certain plants and fish depend on particular temperatures of water -- unless you had some way of reversing it on its own.

But, at the very least, it's better than the other ideas I've heard. Dynagel...argh. And the idea of dropping water-absorbent material from the air into the storm itself -- well, that cuts off evaporative cooling due to precipitation, which may well lead to warming inside the storm enhancing the warm core; at the very least, it certainly won't cause the shear it's inventor wanted to creare. Don't want to enhance the storm...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center