leetdan
(Weather Guru)
Tue Sep 21 2004 03:25 PM
Re: survived because of a one degree dogleg right at the last minute...whew!

Great to hear... Sorry to lean offtopic, but might I ask, what direction was that marina exposed to in relation to the wind? And did you secure your boat in a marina slip, or did you anchor out?

I ask because my family runs a marina north of Palm Beach, and we lost use of all 3 docks from moored boats in the area getting blown in (otherwise there was only a foot or two of surge, no structural wind damage). All the boats usually at our marina were taken to safe harbor, but five sail and power boats were blown in and sunk around (under and on top of) our docks. Only one boat in the nearby (unregulated) anchorage stayed secure, even some boats with 6 or more anchor lines broke free (they estimate 150 moored boats in the immediate area are aground or sunken). Most in other marina slips left, but those that remained took heavy damage or sank in the slips, or in some cases had the docks disintegrate around them leaving the boat moored to pilings surrounded by water.

We're on the east side of the ICW, so we were constantly exposed to the west wind as the storm passed north of us. How'd you fare in relation?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center