Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Sep 22 2004 03:35 AM
Re: Jeanne News Worsens Yet Again

>>And for the record, what storm do you all (this year) believe was the worse?

I think Ivan clearly was the worst of the worst. Arguments can be made for Charley and Frances, but the widespread devastation from Alabama to Pennsylvania was just remarkable. I haven't seen any damage estimates, but I would assume they will be 80% of Andrew (if not more) and as a whole, 2004 will go down in history as the worst year $$$-wise EVER.

If you look at Ivan's damage - and that's flooding in extreme SE LA, some damage in Southern Mississippi and SW Alabama, extreme damage in SE AL and W FL (including tornadoes to Tally and beyond, continued damage all up the I-65 corridor, and massive flooding all the way up through PA and over to Maryland and Virginia. Also, Greneda and some of the Islands took a bigtime blow from Ivan. If his spawn creates any additional damage (flooding, tropical downpours or whatever), then the toll continues to rise.

It's hard to say what the extreme case of Ivanspawn part deux will do. I could see a small tropical storm out of it with some banding features and maybe 40k winds accompanying flooding, but if he takes the right path, he could grow considerably more vicious (high end TS) and damage marine interests and coastal areas where/if he comes ashore. Having said that, it's all about "IF" and not when. We saw a beautiful, breezy afternoon. After the fringe clouds overspread us, the sun came out and blue skies were the rule. Let's see what the rest of the week brings...

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center