leetdan
(Weather Guru)
Wed Sep 22 2004 02:28 PM
Re: To MR UNHappy

*continuing offtopic, sorry, but it needs to be said*

Just as a storm brings out the best in people, it also brings out the worst in people. Those strict regulations have saved thousands of people, from the elderly to the down-on-hard-times, from being swindled or out and out robbed by con men. These people will seek out the vulnerable, pull up in a truck, and offer a deal that can't be refused in exchange for cash up front, for example. Or they'll perform the work, charge exorbitant prices, and leave sub-standard results.

I hate to sound like such a prude, but these things are generally for our protection (as were the curfews). Having an in-state license means they are held accountable for their work, and will follow building codes with their repairs. Yes, out-of-state contractors would be a welcome aid, especially if they have similar hurricane codes. While I don't think the cops had a right to threaten family members helping out, I certainly can't question the overall stance.

On topic: I still hold to my belief that the ridge is being overstated in the models, and Jeanne will start to slip back North and East. Looks like I'm about to get crowed though

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center