Brett
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 23 2004 02:57 AM
Jeanne and wishcasting musings

Hi folks...don't post much, but please read.

I just have a little comment on all of the wishcasting that goes on here, and all of the wishcasting-bashing, for that matter. What amuses me the most is that people get upset with others who may be hoping that a tropical system heads their way. Let's face it. We all love storms, and we all love weather. Otherwise, why would we be checking these sites religiously? I for one will fully admit that I love to be out at the beach and see the surf and feel the wind from an oncoming tropical system. It is exciting! Plus, the thought of no work for a few days and a bathtub full of beer sounds fun, too. That said, I think we all agree that none of us want to see anyone homeless, anyone injured, anyone suffering, or anyone dead. The tragedy that was Ivan in the south and Jeanne in Haiti is not a matter to be taken lightly. However, I do think we need a bit of a reality check, and an admission that we all love the storms, and hope to feel the (minimal) effects of mother nature in all her glory. So lets embrace the wishcasters and everyone else, pay attention to all of the wonderful information from the mets and enthusiasts on this site, and keep a sense of humor along the way.

/rant off

As for Jeanne, though I haven't seen the 11:00, I agree that the ridge in the east has been undercast all season. Recall that Ivan was predicted to go right up through the state of Florida, and it hit well west of here. So I do think she will come further west than the NHC has been predicting. However, I don't think she is a Florida storm, yet. She has shown too much tendency to want to head north since she got off of the Dominican. I say landfall between Charleston and Myrtle Beach as a Cat I hurricane.

More later when I check all my sat loops, models, and other posts. Cheers Steve!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center