Ricreig
(User)
Thu Sep 23 2004 04:26 AM
Re: Skeeobite

Quote:

Your map has IVAN going right over my house in Mont Belvieu. I love your maps.

Now what does one do to prepare for a TS? Just curious?

Yes, Skeetobite's maps are great and keep a lot of questions like 'will it hit me' from ever being asked as well as reminding us that a storm isn't just a point but an area.

As to what to do to prepare. First, prepare for it as you would a hurricane because they can and do often become hurricanes, often just before they get to where you are. Second, keep informed.

Any tropical storm is well capable of toppling trees, disrupting power, water, sewage and traffic controls. People do die because of them, trees fall on them or their cars, they spawn tornados, floods and disrupt lives. While you usually won't have to evacuate unless you are in a flood prone area, and the wind is usually not damaging of your home or shelter, it is still capable of requiring you to have non-perishable food, ice, candles, batteries, flashlights and a gallon of drinkable water, per person, per day. You might be without power for days or a week or more so prepare yourself by filling up your car fuel tank, ensuring your standby generator works and has fuel and oil in case you are without power. In other words, do the same stuff you would for a hurricane. It doesn't matter too much if your power is off because of a TS or from a Hurricane, it's off, your food will rot, your water could be contaminated....you get the idea, I hope.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center