Ricreig
(User)
Thu Sep 23 2004 10:33 AM
Re: Florida in the crosshairs - again!

Quote:

I was looking forward to the schools reopening in St. Lucie County next Monday. With the heavy rains and subsequent flooding here this week it wasn't a sure thing in my mind that would happen. The storm that was and is Ivan really dumped on us for two days this week. 7.25 inches at my house and yes I did empty the gauge before and during the rain.
The question I have now is for advice on what to do with the many thousands of homes existing with "Blu Roofs". My Plan is to reinforce some of them with wood 1X2 firring strips. This weeks rains not only saturated ground agian but showed the weekness of the plastic and tarps covering so many places. It is going to be a busy next few days and the local Home Depot has been a mad house since before Frances----sure it will be crazy today.
And BTW I agree with keeping name Ivan and while I haven't Thought much about Lisa being overtaken on the surface it would seem logical to keep the already named storm name.
The rant was probably from someone who had some "numbers" for the season that needed boosting.
Come on Florida no time for whining we all know if it happens ,it happens and we just gotta go with it best we can.
Hurric

I absoluely agree with your observations regarding the naming, there *are* more important things to concern ourselves with at the moment. In your case, your neck of the increasingly sparse woods it is indeed likely you will again experience hurricane force winds this weekend if the forecast verifies. I simply don't know how you can protect your home from additional damage because you are right, those tarps won't stand up to wind. You could possibly better use the tarps INDOORS, covering your valuables and sacrificing the roof which isn't protected by the tarps anyway. At least, the furnature and appliances might be kept dry. Also, if the track verifies, it is likely the wind will come from the opposite direction to that which you've already experienced. Keep that in mind if you do try to secure the tarps. Good luck neighbor, we are all going to need it even if the track moves back East somewhat.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center