FreakedInFlorida
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Sep 23 2004 11:42 AM
Re: Florida in the crosshairs - again!

Good advice about not waiting. Getting a full tank of gas now and cash out of the bank, as well as any food and water supplies should probably be done today.

I'm in a quandry about whether to stay in our house or to go to a shelter this time around. The shelter was a nightmare. 500 people with no bathrooms, no emergency backup generator, solid waste over flowing onto the main floor, not to mention I'm a bit peoplephobic and being in that crowd in a small place drove me up the wall. Our house was battle tested to 110 MPH winds (maybe more with the gusts) in Frances. We are in Fort Pierce, and got the eye wall several times as the storm rotated (since it was oblong) and our house stood strong. The only concern is tornados. Course a tornado can just as easily rip the roof off a shelter as the house. Shelters have not yet been opened or announced for St. Lucie County, so I guess it's a moot decision until they do and there is still the chance it may go NW early enough to avoid us. I realize that doesn't look good at this point, but you never know. I guess today's forecasts will be the deciding factor. Intensity especially.

I noticed the new 5am advisory didn't have a range of size in relation to hurricane force winds versus tropical storm winds. Is there a place to find out if it's still 45/120 miles respectively?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center