Ricreig
(User)
Fri Sep 24 2004 12:11 PM
Re: Jeanne Track

Quote:

I do not claim to be a "Weather Guru" or anything like that, but I just don't see how jeane will turn north with what I see on the water vapor loop.

While water vapor loops do help visualize where the highs and lows and wind patterns are, it is often what you can't see that has the greatest effect. First, the high pressure areas often have complex shapes that are invisible in the WV loops mostly because High Pressure areas are often dry and contain little moisture making them 'invisible'. Secondly, WV loops are based upon data on the amount of water in the upper atmosphere unlike the visible and IR images which tend to be visualizations of reflected energy from much lower levels of the atmosphere. As hurricanes are affected more by mid-levels of the atmosphere, the WV loops often do not predict the real movers of hurricane weather. It is just one more good tool for use in forecasting, but by itself, it doesn't tell the whole story.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center