Heather
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Sep 25 2004 01:27 PM
Re: I don't see the turn coming

Uuuugghh!! I have never seen such a case of denial with my husband and especially my father. We lived in Boynton Beach during Andrew. He prepared for that one, but then the effects were minor. Has lived in Sebring for the past 10 years, ignoring all storms til Charley. In fact 30 minutes before we started feeling the effects of Charley my family was walking out the door to go to dinner. No concept whatsoever. Of course they were caught a little bit off guard when they were without electricity for days. For Frances, my household was prepared-parents were going on vacation come hell or highwater-which they did. They did have the sense to bring back a generator as they are hard to find here. My father prepared for Ivan, and was then annoyed when it didn't visit us. I haven't heard the end of it yet. So now we face Jeanne, he is still saying "It ain't coming here" and "There is so much real estate b/t Sebring and the coast". I showed him Skeetobite's graphic-no good. This is so frustrating as he is a teacher and does have some common sense, usually prepared for things to the max-but blowing this off. I've also noticed that all of neighbors are currently having yard sales today!! The denial is frightening. Most frightening is what is going to happen tonight that is going to shock this "inland" town into reality.
Thanks for letting me vent...I'll go back to lurking now.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center