Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:52 AM
Re: Update

First of all, CNN should stick to politics, not the weather. They've been saying "up the coast" for 4 days. They are clueless.
I have been watching the local mets here and I think they have a better idea...as a matter of fact, 3 mets in the last 15 minutes have been talking about having to shift the track a little further south, and JC just confirmed that with his report in which he stated that for every little W/NW jog it takes, it takes 4 more to the west, so I have to agree with the westward track.
Right now the latest winds in Lakeland - Lakeland Highlands to be exact -- are now to the NNW at 24 gusting to 32mph.
I can absolutely not even imagine what sustained winds of 50 mph will be like in a few hours, nevermind 90 with gusts over 100.
It also looks like Jeanne is getting her act together again. The eyewall appears to be closed again and the convection is firing back up. Is she now in the Gulfstream? or is that yet to come?
I do believe that they have issued Hurricane Watches/Tropical Storm Warnngs along the West Coast of Florida, because the track and the large area of the hurricane winds and tropical storm force winds.
The local EOC's (including Polk County) are practically BEGGING people in mobile homes to LEAVE IMMEDIATELY. They even went as far as to have a News Channel 8 reporter in Polk County go on live tv telling people this is no game, it's not Frances and to PLEASE GO TO EITHER A SHELTER OR FAMILY. Hillsborough County is offering to take in POLK county residents!

Steve Jerve from News Channel 8 is now interviewing Max Mayfield at 9:27pm: addressing the inland counties: expect very high winds; the west coast of Florida could experience a HIGHER storm surge than the EAST coast as it moves across the state because the waters are more shallow . Max Mayfield just stated that at 11pm the track may be shifted a little bit to the west. A "little bit to the west" is very disconcerting...as we saw with Ivan...a little jog to the right or left makes a huge difference right now, because that will affect the inland counties as far as where a lot of the damage will be. But with the wide area of hurricane force, then TS force winds I'm not sure that anyone in the inland path of this storm is going to be less affected than anyone else.

The lights are flickering here right now a little bit, I don't think we will be as lucky in not losing our power this time around.

Okay, that's my local update from Lakeland Highlands. We are also looking at 10" of rain or maybe more! Polk County is really in a bad spot for storms that go across the peninsula; we get socked from the east then socked from the west.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center