recmod
(Weather Guru)
Tue Sep 28 2004 12:52 AM
Seminole County

Hi Everyone,
Went back to work today in Sanford. I had one harrowing moment on the drive where a large pine tree had fallen over the road....into the powerlines, which were the only thing holding the tree above the roadway (wish I had my camera with me then!) I stopped the car, and, after seeing a couple other cars driving under the tree, took the plunge myself.
Driving through major intersections with no traffic lights is real fun too. No one seems to respect the 4-way stop rule.

All in all, the area doesn't look too bad. It really seems that, by the third hurricane, most of the old, sick or shaky trees have been taken out. There IS a recurring story I heard all day from co-workers and customers. This storm caused MUCH more roof damage to homes than either of the previous hurricanes. I think that might be attributed to a snow-balling effect of previously unseen damage manifesting itself this time around. Already weakened roof structures are giving out.

On the subject of the remainder of this season: We need to remain vigilent during this lull in tropical activity the next week or so. I do not, in any way, feel that Jeanne is the last USA threat in 2004. Many recent years have had significant late-season storms: Lili- Oct. 2002 (Cat 4), Michelle- Nov. 2001 (Cat 4), Keith- Oct. 2000 (Cat 4), Irene- Oct. 1999 (Cat 2), Mitch- Oct. 1998 (Cat 5), Roxanne- Oct. 1995 (Cat 3) & Opal- Oct. 1995 (Cat 4)....not all these storms affected the USA, but I chose these because, at some point during their life, the NHC DID forecast a more threatening track that did not materialize.

--Lou

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center