Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Tue Sep 28 2004 02:04 PM
Hey, All!

We are all okay. A very scary 14 hours -- let me tell you, a storm moving at 12-14mph might seem like a freight train coming at you while still at sea, but when it hits, it's like being stuck on a major highway in a traffic jam as you wait for it to come to your area!
We were extremely lucky --- lost a few shingles off the roof, our street flooded, we lost our power for only 6 hours and our cable for 3 days, but that is nothing compared to what others around us suffered.
Pool screens in our neighborhood were ruined, water leaked through people's homes, trees (especially old oaks) snapped and went either on or through people's roofs. My husband took a lot of pictures and I am going to make an album so that all of you can see what a hurricane does "inland". God was surely watching over all of us because as much damage as we had in our area, I have not heard of a lot of deaths or injuries.
Now, I have an announcement to make: I have gotten over my fear of frogs. There was a baby frog on my lanai the other night who just sat there as the rain was pouring down, and although I attempted to use my voice to move him by yelling things like "JUMP, STUPID!" "DON'T JUST SIT THERE, USE YOUR HOPPERS!" I made no headway. I think that maybe he just had one too many raindrops hit him on the head. So, I went over and picked him up, wiped him off with a towel, and he kept me company for a while. He got his VERY LOUD VOICE back and at one point looked right at me and RIBBETED a thank you. I told him to keep it down, the neighbors were sleeping. My husband came out at one point and said, "Are you aware that there is a frog next to you on the table?" I told him that I had saved his life. He just shook his head and walked back inside.
Here's one thing: I will NEVER give mouth-to-frog recuscitation; don't care if he turns into a prince, with my luck it would be Prince Charles, not Prince William.
I am just hearing (and this is weather related, although not hurricane) but a 5.9 earthquake just hit near Parkfield, CA with at least 25 aftershocks. Parkfield is in between San Fransisco and Los Angeles. It was 11 miles deep, that is a good thing. The deeper it is, the better.
Now this is something that even Mark Geragross could dream up in his wildest dreams: court has been delayed in the Scott Peterson case because this earthquake was felt in Redwood City.
They cancelled football practice last night --- don't know if the coach did or the school did --- but unless we hear different, we are supposed to go tonight. They have a guard at the highschool who is not letting ANYONE in except for the ACTUAL high school football players who practice from maybe 3:30 to 5:30? I hope we don't have it tonight; maybe we won't since we will probably not have school the rest of the week. I think it is up to the school, and not the coaches.
Okay, I've yakked enough. Talk to ya soon!
Colleen

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center