Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Wed Sep 29 2004 04:05 AM
Accuweather

Phirst of all (had to get the PH in there ), to all of you up north who are feeling the remnants of Jeanne...stay safe. Remember this saying:

"TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN"

You never know just how deep the water is and it rises fast (take my word for it) so if you can't see the road, don't drive through it.

Accuweather: someone mentioned that Accuweather nailed Jeanne, and they indeed did. I think they nailed Charley, Frances and Ivan, too. So, when Denis Phillips from ABC 28 in Tampa started talking about Jeanne, he had on JB. He explained WHY Jeanne would not make that forecasted "skirt up the Florida coast because of the High being lower than the 2 models wanted it to be. Denis is one of those forecasters who usually comes forward with his own thoughts and depending on what he SEES, he will either go with the NHC or maybe just defer slightly from it. With Jeanne, he really emphasized that the Accuweather forecast was not out of the question, but also told us to stay focused on the NHC. Basically, to make a long story short ---which I have a hard time doing if you haven't noticed---he told us to keep an eye on Jeanne, and what I read between the lines was that even though he wouldn't go as far as disagreeing with the models forecast, he wasn't all that convinced. Being that I am almost on first name basis with almost every local met in TB, I emailed him asking him who's forecasts had been more accurate this year: NHC or Accuweather. He emailed me back the next day and told me that Accuweather had been more accurate this year, but that it varied year to year. In other words,what I inferred from that email was this: he was saying "Accuweather's better this year than ever before but I am in CYA mode so I had to add in the "but it varies from year to year bit."
Polk Schools are off until next Monday, and the only reason we were allowed to have football practice with the dusk-til-dawn curfew was because we had lights on the practice field.
Plus, 10 billion mosquitos just waiting to suck our blood.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center