MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Sep 29 2004 11:42 AM
accuweather

Not to be the wet blanket on accuweather's party, but I think we should realize they were right for the wrong reasons. Remember, it was EMPHATICALLY stated it would hit southern Fla. on a Monday as a cat 3, and they were off by 4 days. In fact, they had no idea it would do what it did, otherwise they would have not been off by 4 days (on their original forecast which was what brought this up). I bring this up because their long range forecast was being credited as nailing it with the exception of the date, but that is no small exception. Their forecast was for a hurricane on Monday, and it simply did not happen. If I say we are getting a snow storm on Thursday, and we get one a week later, I cannot claim to be correct, just off on the time. Yes, it was the same storm, yes, it did (unfortunately) hit the same spot in south Fla., but we are growing their legend not based on what actually happened.
I still stand behind my posts that stated it was irresponsible to guarantee a forecast 5 days out that did not, in fact, verify.
I don't bring this up to be disagreeable, but it may be because I watched the "No Spin Zone" last night!

BTW, I was one of the lucky ones up here-only 2.47" from the storm, and the tornadoes stayed to my NW and W, as did all of the flooding. Wonder if our friends on L.I had their "Phil" of it last night.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center