cjzydeco
(Weather Guru)
Sun Oct 03 2004 05:08 PM
Re: From the NWS in Houston/Galveston

The cause of a quake and the trigger of a quake are two entirely differnt animals. Could the drag force created by a hurricane making landfall trigger a quake? It's plausible. I am not familiar with the dynamics of the force you are referring to, so I would have to read the research. If it slows the rotation of the Earth, then I would expect the tectonic influence to be global, not localized. Remember, the focus (point of origin) of earthquakes is typically tens to hundreds of miles underground, and energy does not propogate well through the Earth's fractured crust. Even nuclear explosions have been shown to have no effect on seismicity.

Either way, for a hurricane to trigger a quake, the portion of the fault that is triggered by such a force would have to be primed to move anyway, so is it really signifcant that it moves one day, one month, one year verses the next? Geologically speaking, no.

Another issue lies with how to prove that that a hurricane making landfall on one side of the globe triggers a quake a week later on the opposite side of the globe. How are going to gather that evidence? Remember, coincidence does not make good science.

A temporary increase or decrease in the seismicity rate is usually just that -- part of the natural variation in the Earth's or a region's seismicity.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center