Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Oct 03 2004 07:11 PM
Re: From the NWS in Houston/Galveston

Drag related from hurricanes causing earthquakes is yes plausible. A hurricane is a huge coalescence of water vapor, which will have some density difference then the surronding enviorment. Remember the famous formula Mass over Volume, well hurricanes surely have a hefty mass, and volume but they're comprised up of similar gases, so the density difference is small. This causes wind to have an obstructed flow, and have three choices over, to the sides or through. This would slow down the prevailing atmospheric flow, to a point where the friction between the earth and atmosphere would increase, causing a slight decrease in rotational speed. After that I don't know how it would work, because if you were to slow down the rotational speed of Earth, angular momentum would decrease and gravity would increase, therefore causing all magma to be surpressed. That's my take on the whole thing, I know that many other factors contribute to having a volcano erupt, degassing, density of rock material, source of rock material etc. so gravity is just one small thing and besides gravity is a weak force when you think of it.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center