Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Oct 04 2004 07:01 PM
Fishing on the Gulf...

If anyone is interested. Here is a report on what the weather was like out in the gulf yesterday.

Finally got to get back on the water this weekend. Had to be the most beautiful day I've had in years. I was at my friend Jaryd's house watching the Browns game, and at half time he asked if i wanted to go fishing. So, off we went. We left around 16:00 with his brother-in-law, another Matt, and went about 35 miles due west of New Port Richie. Seas were 1'-2' @ ~10 second intervals, water temp 82.5F. Consistant light wind out of the NW. Conditions stayed like that till about 20:00. Just unbelivablely beautiful out. The fish were good to us too. Brought home 28"& 23" Gags (Black Grouper ). We threw back 3 that were just over/under the limit.

Sunset was amazing. There was a good sized thunderstorm N of us, with a band of clouds that spread SW of us. The sun lit them all up in a bright orange. Looked Like someone took a huge orange cotton ball and streatched it out from the panhandle to Mexico. Judging distance on the water is so hard but I would say the storm was 100-500 miles N of us, with the "front" about 100 miles @ it's closest point. Winds shifted to N and kicked up to 10-15 knt and the seas rose to 3-4 with white on the tips, something we hadent seen all day, so we decided to head back. Conditions never changed again, but the storm never died either.

I am not a professional, fisherman or otherwise, and did my best to observe and judge conditions as I saw them, the only "guage" I had was a thermometer, on fish finder. We go out , weather permitting, about every 2 weeks. Sometimes we go as far as 120 miles. If anyone finds any of this information valuable I would be happy to post/PM after each trip.

Hope all had as good of a sunday....

Matt

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center