Clark
(Meteorologist)
Tue Feb 15 2005 01:40 AM
Re: Question for you-all

I was kind of amazed when I saw that article, particularly with quotes. While persistent ridge/trough features are common with various weather patterns, it is hard to predict 5-8 months out where these ridges will be. For one, we don't have a really good handle on the sea state in the Eastern Pacific -- some think it's a weak El Nino event, others say neutral -- and that's just one of many factors going into the forecast.

Beyond forecasting whether or not the subtropical ridge is going to be in a position to lead to storms moving like they did in 2004 is the intensity as well as exact extent of the ridge. A slightly weaker ridge than in 2004 would lead to more storms recurving into the ridge and affecting the Outer Banks; one slightly further east would've sent more storms offshore, while one further west would've sent more storms into the northern Gulf coast after hitting Florida. There's no skill in predicting that this far out other than climatology - which, as we've seen, holds little skill in predicting an extreme event such as last season.

I could go into some of the processes that strengthen ridges and determine a hurricane's movement, but I think it's a bit beyond the scope of the article & argument. I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes, while it is possible something like last summer sets up, it's no more likely than a complete pattern shift taking place and a scenario like 1995 setting up. It's a bit of sensationalization, yes. There is some fact behind it, but the skill is very negligible.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center