recmod
(Weather Guru)
Tue Feb 15 2005 03:00 AM
Hurricane Charley 6 Months Later Website Photos

Quote:

Lou, Thanks for sharing this with us. Your web site brings back some horrible memories for me (I live just south of you in E Orlando near 50&436) and worse, live in a mobile home) Your hard work shows. I hope you will leave this site up for quite a while. It is a place I can refer 'wishcasters' to when this coming season, I see or hear someone saying "I just *love* hurricanes...they are so exciting". Balderdash...your site vividly shows not excitement, but many personal tragedies. The complancency of living well away from beaches was shattered for millions here in Central Floriday. Thanks for documenting it so well.

Thanks for the compliments on my site. I have been doing a photo study around the Orlando area to document how Central Florida is recovering from last years' hurricanes. I have posted the results on my Hurricane 2004 Website. You may view the pictures at:

6 Months After Charley

Anyone who lives in the Orlando area knows that, for the most part, the commercial areas have nearly completed their repairs from the storms. The only lingering damage are the many business signs that were blown out by the high winds. While many businesses have replaced the signage, some work remains.

The residential areas, on the other-hand, have struggled to some extent. There remain a large number of homes throughout the area with roofs that have tarps covering damage. Many yards continue to have downed trees,...or the huge uprooted stump remains. There are still a lot of downed fences in yards. I found that, in some cases, homes were sitting abandoned...left in the condition they were the day after the storm. Still others have been completely bulldozed, with "For Sale" signs left on the vacant land.
Speaking from my own personal experience, I know it is still near impossible to get a roofing or fence contractor. Most companies continue to have months-long backlogs. I have been embroiled in an ongoing battle with my local town's govt offices who are threatening me with $100 a day fines if I do not get my fence replaced around my backyard pool. I have resorted to presenting city hall with signed statements from fence contractors to proove I am not sandbagging the work.

All in all, this has been a trying and stressful year, working through multiple damage / insurance claims. If 2005 comes anything close to last year, I think many will throw- in-the-towel and move out of Florida.

--Lou

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center