HanKFranK
(User)
Tue Apr 26 2005 03:31 PM
Re: Publicly available data

i'm not moving it, clark. that's main board material.
i'm not worried for one, don't think the bill will pass. for one the article noted that it's too vague. people are too used to being able to get weather information for free.. the government historically has provided that. accuweather, twc and their like will just have to adapt and innovate.. even if their claims of the government undercutting their market are true. on the other hand, by limiting the free flow of information to the public from a service our tax dollars pay for, the nws/noaa role would seem redundant.
it's kind of ironic though... the position i'm taking is to favor the nws/noaa.. a division of the department of commerce.. to limit a private sector market. the thought is that the overall benefit is free, useful information that will promote economic security. charging money for things like that only benefits the people selling it... other markets that don't want to pay up will be at greater risk.
HF 1722z26april

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center