SkeetoBiteAdministrator
(Master of Maps)
Tue Apr 26 2005 08:16 PM
Re: Publicly available data

The following is the text I sent to all members of the U.S. Senate Comittee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. Feel free to copy and edit this content.

Remember, taking a position is meaningless unless you also make a stand. Action is what makes a difference

-------------------

Reference: S.786
Location: U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation
Sponsor: Senator Santorum

No vote vigorously urged.

Dear Senator,

Be advised that I am very angry that a bill has been sent to this committee seeking to diminish the capabilities of the National Weather Service. This is a critical service that electronically feeds many commercial and free weather sites around the nation with important and in many cases, life saving information. Seeking to reduce these capabilities for the sake of commerce is unacceptable by any measure. My tax dollars already pay for the collection and dissemination of this data. Forcing me to pay twice; once via taxation and again via commerce is unfair and un-American.

As a weather enthusiast, my experience has revealed the NWS to be the most accurate of weather data available to me. This is especially true considering the eye of three hurricanes crossed just 14 miles south of my home last year. As you are aware, approximately 20% of the homes and other structures in our fine state of Florida were damaged by these storms. Should we tell these people that when danger is approaching, the only way to get critical updates and forecasts is to pay for cable television or a subscription to AccuWeather?

I am aware that AccuWeather is a constituent of Senator Santorum. I am also aware that AccuWeather uses the same government supplied data that I do to prepare their forecasts. How is it even logical to allow any or several corporate entities to have exclusive access to data that “we the people" pay for, so they can turn around and sell this data back to “the people”?

I urge a NO vote on S.786.

Jonathon Grant
Lakeland, FL

-----------------------------------------

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center