Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun May 15 2005 05:08 AM
Re: Mr. Santorum's Legislation

Thanks for posting that Phil. I think there is enough there to read between the lines, but the memo doesn't even address all of it. What we have is a corporation whose principal is contributing to the author/sponsor of the bill, who has a specific profit motive and wishes control of public dissemenation of data. I probably should log on at some point because I botched the cut and paste on my last post, and I'm sure i will before the season starts.

And here's a companion exhibit. It's referenced in the s2k thread, but here's the direct link. What Accuweather does not address is more than conspicuous by its absence. They are attempting to frame the debate that they are protecting the public's access to data. They make no mention of the power they will wield when that access is funneled through corporate distribution points such as their own. I say bah on it and am putting my money where my mouth is by not re-subscribing to their site. I'm all for the real-time access to the data so there can be no mistaking its validity. But as a taxpayer, I'm not getting anything for free. I paid for the data that is collected. If I excercise my rights as an American to purchase additional content, then that should be my perogative or anyone else's. But that would be as a function of a weather company or service putting value added resources into the distribution of that data (e.g. 24 hour radar loops, their own private satellite data, etc.)

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/promotion.asp?dir=aw&page=wxinfoaccess

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center