Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri May 20 2005 01:47 PM
Re: arlene may have to wait

In 1999, I went to Hawaii (Maui). I remember that when you woke up in the morning, you could not see the mountains because the tradewinds were blowing east instead of west, which caused a lot of the volcanic ash to cover the island. I can't remember the exact name of what they called it, but people with respiratory problems were told it would be safer to stay inside.
I also remember that the plane ride from LA to Maui took longer than usual because we were flying INTO the trade winds, but the ride home was cut from about 5 hours to just around 3-1/2 due to the very strong tail winds that were pushing us back to the states. I believe that the pilot said that they were almost 300+ mph, but I'm not sure if that's completely accurate.
Would the trade winds that had reversed in 1999 be the same thing that is causing Adrian to move west to east instead of east to west? I'm thinking that's the case, but I'm not entirely sure.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center