Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sun May 22 2005 03:45 AM
Re: The "Perfect Storm"

I apologize about my post...I'm a little touchy about the subject of the "perfect storm" because it really isn't all that different from what we've seen in many other cases, just with added notoriety, bringing it (unnecessarily, IMO) well into the forefront of the public's minds.

For instance, the first part about the extratropical storm capturing Grace: that's a classic extratropical transition followed by merger. The uniqueness comes in that there appeared to be a blocking pattern over the Atlantic, preventing the storm from continuing east. A warm-seclusion occured -- as evidenced with a warm core at low levels (but not upper levels) -- and the system, over the Gulf Stream, began to transition again into a hybrid-type of storm, with very strong winds (and an eye-like feature) well-removed from the center of the storm. We see the warm seclusion evolution after ET about 1/4 of the time of all ETs, making it not all that uncommon either.

Just my feelings on the matter...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center