danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon May 23 2005 01:17 AM
Re: Anomalies or abnormalities?

Quote:

"... ANOMALOUSLY STRONG MID/UPPER HIGH IS NEAR BARBADOS RIDGING WESTWARD TO NICARAGUA AND NORTHWARD INTO THE W ATLC. ELY FLOW AT UPPER LEVELS LIES S OF THE RIDGE AXIS... UNUSUAL FOR MAY WHICH USUALLY HAS 20-25 KT WINDS COMING FROM THE WEST IN THOSE AREAS. A DRIER PATTERN WILL MOVE FROM W TO E AS THE SURFACE TROUGH SLIPS SE... WITH MUCH GREATER-THAN- AVERAGE CHANCES OF RAIN ENDING MON ON JAMAICA AND TUE ON HISPANIOLA THOUGH CONDITIONS STILL LOOK A BIT WETTER THAN AVERAGE IN THE LEEWARD ISLANDS..."

I saw the High pressure ridge depicted on the Tropical maps yesterday, but didn't really think that much of it. I wonder how this might influence the Caribbean Climatology for the upcoming Hurricane season. Or, will it have any effect at all?

I didn't say it Would influence the climatology. I was wondering if it might influence the climatology.
I see that San Juan, PR tied a record high of 95 degrees on Saturday. So the high pressure ridge anomaly is having some influence on the area.
Two things come to mind with a high pressure ridge.
Warm/ Hot temperatures, and normally a lack of convection under the ridge.

I also noticed a few other refences to oddities in yesterday's Tropical Weather Discussion.
"...TROPICAL WAVE APPROACHING S AMERICA ALONG 48W S OF 14N MOVING W 15 KT. THE WAVE SHOWS A FAIR SIGNATURE ON VISIBLE SATELLITE PICTURE WITH CONVECTION W OF THE WAVE AXIS IN THE ITCZ... MEANING THE WAVE IS EXPERIENCING ELY SHEAR... WHICH IS RATHER ODD FOR AN EARLY-SEASON WAVE ..."
link>
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/NHC/TWDAT.0505211716

"...HEAVY RAIN IS STILL POSSIBLE OVER CENTRAL
AMERICA S OF 13N SINCE THE PACIFIC ITCZ IS N OF ITS CLIMATOLOGICAL POSITION.
IN THE UPPER LEVELS...LARGE ANTICYCLONIC CIRCULATION IS CENTERED OVER THE WINDWARD ISLANDS NEAR 12N61W. AN E/W AXIS EXTENDS W TO NICARAGUA. CONSIDERABLE MOISTURE IS ADVECTING N FROM S AMERICA TO THE CARIBBEAN SEA..."

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/NHC/TWDAT.0505220005

Louis, maybe one of the Mets can give us a little insight into these oddities, and what they may or may not bring with them.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center