Terra
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Jun 10 2005 01:24 AM
Re: Atmospheric Pressure

Quote:

Wow Terra, I'd love to know what you do for a living. I am assuming you are not a meteorologist but are some kind of scientist because you doing some advanced thinking on Atmospheric Science there.

I could try to explain it to you but I would need an hour, a good dynamics textbook for re-inforcement and some NoDoz to keep you awake.

Nah, you wouldn't need NoDoz, as I am such a nerd that I would enjoy the three semesters condensed into an hour. I suspected I would be told that it was related, but not in a linear manner, I was just hoping my answer would be something that didn't require differential equations. I find it interesting that a drop in temperature would cause an increase in pressure... seems backwards... I'll try another argument besides the ideal gas law.... if temperature decreases, relative humidity would increase (provided water vapor remained constant). This would cause condensation to occur (if the RH reached saturation) and would actually lower the water vapor concentration in the atmosphere.. now, I'm sure, since water vapor is only 0-4% of the total atmospheric composition that the effect would be negligble, but how could the pressure be higher? Man, I'll never get it!

As for me, I am an analytical chemist that stumbled into an atmospheric chemistry group for graduate school, as I wanted to go to Greenland. We looked at chemical reaction mechanisms (focusing on tropospheric ozone, actually), and while I had to take one atmospheric chemistry course, and do number density/scale height calcs for some of my gas-phase computer models, I didn't learn too much about how the atmosphere works... does that make sense? Now I teach chemistry and Earth science and I find every semester, I teach more and more about the atmosphere and meteorology. In fact, last semester, I actually took a stab at teaching adiabatic lapse rate to my 100-level survey class... not sure how it went over, but I think they caught on.

Anyway, enough about me... who are you Mr./Ms. Not-At-Home?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center