LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 10:48 PM
Re: Arlene on final approach

Quote:

One more note and the guy from LI may remember this - Until last year, my only exp with an actual Hurricane was in Connecticut in September 1985 - I believe it was Gloria. The eye of the cane went right over our house....over 50 miles inland. The only thing damaged was an apple tree. No power loss, no property damage.

I assume "I" am that "guy from LI...

oh yeh...i remember gloria...gloria sucked...my family of course had no cable in 85 (though the whole block did) so there was no TWC coverage...we had our local NY stations, and while they did play her up, coverage was nowhere near where it is today...we didn't have any damage to the house or yard (lost many small limbs, but no trees uprooted or anything major)...but we did lose power....and to make a very long story as short as possible, didn't get it back for a week...now this is nothing compared to what florida faced last year, but it is sort of amazing considering the damage from Gloria was rather minimal...at the time, we were serviced by a private power company (LILCO = Long Island Lighting COmpany) and the company president was on vacation...in one of the worst PR moves of all time, he didn't rush back but instead was like, "f--- you"...which started the down fall of the second largest private power supplier in the country and the reason why we now have government regulated power...

gloria (whose name WAS retired) wasn't one of the most memorable LI canes, but she was really the most recent...Bob '91 passed to our east, and Floyd '99 (where I met Jim Cantore, btw) was a TS by the time he reached us are our closest since then...

anyone interested in Gloria can find some interesting stuff in the link.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center