danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Jun 20 2005 12:06 AM
Re: Quiet Weekend Continues

Quote:

That line of squally weather between the Yuc and Cuba although nothing important has a weird placement that I do not recall seeing before. I also felt several times this week when I viewed the loops that the frames were in backwards with everything pushing south and east instead of North and West...

The weird circulation pattern that you have been seeing this week is due, in part, to a stalled front along the Northern Gulf Coast and a rather large High pressure area over Lower Mexico.
The high is giving a "backwards" movement to the Yucatan Channel area, and at this point 'semi-blocking' anything from moving further north into the GOM.
Several of the models have hinted at an area of rain forming in the Yucatan Peninsula area this week and moving NE toward the W and SW FL coast.
The high pressure will have to break down a little more to allow this. I'm not sure how or if the front/ trough lying across the Northern GOM will play a part in anything that might develop.
Models I saw earlier were just indicating a persistant area of thunderstorms moving toward the NE from Cozumel, MX.

Current imagery from LSU satellites indicates the -24C line extends from Veracruz, MX to the Ft Myers area to the Melbourne area. Areas North of this line are not likely to have thunderstorm formation, due to the dry air in place. ( S.A. Hsu & Melvin F Martin,Jr)
http://antares.csi.lsu.edu/AOI/AOI0_wv_loop.html

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center