Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jun 26 2005 06:37 PM
Re: That's a Tropical Depression

By gummed up, it means there are too many things going on at the same time which generally will prohibit development. For storms to forum /usually/ they need for other aspects of the weather competing for the same energy to resolve.

I like the STDS put out by the NHC today as I think it accurately reflected the picture. However, it sure seemed like a Subtropical Depression based on the visible presentation and the 20-30 windspeeds. I guess everything isn't getting a name, but there was an obvious surface rotation on my favorite radar, the one out of Morehead City, NC earlier this morning.

The southern part of the wave that spawned 94L (as noted by HF) is still pretty active as was expected. I thought the best the northern end could do was low-grade tropical storm and the best the southern end could do was maybe mid-grade. I'm not sure if anything's coming out of this, but things do seem to be following the original ECMWF runs from the middle of last week that had a ripple in the isobars near the Yucatan on Monday with a TS off the UT Coast on Wed. Later runs of the European kept it further and further south and didn't develop anything with it. The jury is still out as it was going to be at least until this weekend before we could tell if anything was going to get in the Gulf or not, and if so, how it might behave. In my mind, with the battle between the southern part of the wave and the EPAC, the EPAC is going to win with the wave basically tracking across the southern Gulf of Mexico and probably into Mexico by mid-week. But there's still an outside chance something casual could develop and threaten the Texas coast. Wait and see mode.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center